Monday, February 9, 2009

Day One

Today went great! The first day I was to feed Daniel 3 meals exactly as I do at home. The first meal was 3 different foods (all very runny -- which Daniel does not like). We had pears and applesauce all different textures. He wasn't really into the runny stuff that would fall off the spoon. The feeding therapist was extremely happy with where Daniel is right now. We then left the clinic for a while to take Daddy to the airport so he could catch his flight home. Daniel and I returned to the clinic and I fed him again but this time we added oatmeal to sweet potatoes and peas to make it thicker and we pureed some canned peaches to what they call a "gritty" texture which is a little more advanced than the stage 2 baby food he is used to but less texture than the stage 3 that has chunks in it. He loved the peaches. We did those first and he had no problems and didn't even try to spit back out the advanced texture. In fact, he liked those so well that he kept pointing that he wanted more even when we had to move onto the other foods. He also fed himself a few bites which was exciting for the therapist. Usually they would have me do 1 more feed but they decided that he did so well that they didn't need to gather any more information from me feeding him that on his 3rd meal today the feeding therapist (Cynthia) fed him. I think he was a little shocked when I took him into the room and left. He didn't know what to think. They have a video camera set up so I move out to a viewing area and watch the therapist feed him. He wouldn't acknowledge the therapist, wouldn't even look at her but he let her feed him and that is all she wanted. Normally, I would feed him again tomorrow. However, they feel that he's up to the challenge so we will just start what will become the normal program tomorrow. He will be fed 4x tomorrow by the therapist who will work with him to eat more volume and open his mouth wider to accept the spoon. I'll update again tomorrow with what they do and how he does.

There are 3 other kids in the program right now but they are all younger than Daniel (around 2). He is not keen on getting to know any of them yet. I think they all think he is very stuck up! I explained to the other moms that Daniel is not used to being around other kids and it may take him a while to warm up to them. Other than Abi, Daniel has not had any playmates. I hope that he overcomes whatever fear he has of the other kids and will join in the fun. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Abi is doing fine. I talk with her each night and she has a calendar marked with the day we are supposed to come home and is keeping track of the days. I miss her and she lets me know each night that she misses me too. But, she is having a good time with G&G Heyne and Daddy got home today so he'll keep her busy too.

Well, I'm mentally exhausted after all the information we got today so I'm off to read over paperwork and then get ready for bed.

-Angela-

No comments:

Post a Comment