Well, day seven didn't happen! As you know from my post yesterday, Daniel was not himself during treatment. They thought that he might have had irritation on his throat and had that looked at but it looked good so we continued on. When Daniel went to bed last night (Monday), he was not sleeping well. He would cry out but when I went in to check on him he appeared to be asleep. At 10:00 he started crying so I went in and layed down with him and he just kept crying. About 10 minutes later he threw up all over the place. He continued to vomit 4 more times basically losing all the liquid I had put into him that day. He also kept hitting himself on the side of the head. He only slept about 2 hours total last night. At midnight, we made a trip to a 24 hr CVS to get some pedialyte for him and this morning I called the hospital. The referred us to a local pediatric clinic who took one look at Daniel'ls left ear and said that his ear drum was about to pop! He was in such pain. Daniel can't have 10 day antibiotics due to short gut so he has to get a shot instead. The doc here called my doc at home and they discussed what to do and it was decided on what antibiotic to use. Daniel got 1 shot today, he will need another shot on Thursday and he will get a 3rd shot on Saturday! He also got some ear drops for the pain. Unfortunately, Daniel can't have Tylenol or Motrim so he's going to have some pain until the infection is gone but hopefully it won't be as bad. Needless to say, we didn't make it to the clinic today. The doc said we can go back as soon as Daniel feels up to it. The therapist at the clinic says to play it by ear (no pun intended) and if Daniel isn't showing any pain tomorrow we can come then but if he is still not sleeping well and showing pain we should wait until Thursday because they don't want to associate any ear pain with eating. So, we'll have to wait and see if he feels better tomorrow or we not.
Speaking of ear infections, the docs say that they are not contagious but I'm not sure I believe that! Abi had an ear infection right before we left home, Andrew (another patient at the feeding clinic) was out 3 days last week with an ear infection, Ethan (another patient in the feeding clinic) has been out both Friday and Monday with an ear infection and they were out again today because Daniel and I ran into them at the doctors office where he was being re-checked today. Doesn't this seem awful coincidental to you?
Well, I need to put the ear drops in Daniel's ear so I'll update tomorrow to let you know if we went to the clinic or not.
-Angela-
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment